Psychographic Segments Defined: Self Achievers
Effective patient engagement, whether through clinician-patient interaction or marketing, is key to influencing healthcare consumer behaviors. It goes without saying that healthcare consumers are a radically diverse audience, and astute marketers understand that attempting to group this audience by demographic factors alone leaves much to be desired in terms of crafting an effective message.
Fortunately, c2b solutions has developed a much more insight-driven approach to healthcare consumer engagement based on psychographic segmentation, which focuses on categorizing people according to their beliefs, motivations, values, priorities and lifestyles.
Of the five categories identified within c2b's psychographic model, Self Achievers stand out as the most proactive and self-motivated group. Below are some helpful points that will not only define what a Self Achiever is, but also what healthcare marketers can do to appeal specifically to this unique group of people.
Three Key Characteristics of Self Achievers
- Self Achievers are very proactive in terms of how they approach their personal health and wellness. They value planning and forward thinking, and they prefer to take the initiative when addressing health concerns so that they won't be blindsided by potential challenges later down the line. Self Achievers consider this proactive approach to be an investment into their health, wellness and appearance.
- The way that Self Achievers address their own health issues differs significantly from the typical approaches taken by patients in other psychographic group. Self Achievers actively research and seek out information regarding their health condition, and they emphasize proactive management of their condition through regular medical check-ups and pertinent health screenings. Passivity is anathema to this group, because Self Achievers tend to adopt the mentality characterized by the famous mantra "If it's gonna be, it's up to me."
- Self Achievers are vigorous self-starters, and they thrive in environments where they can set and achieve goals. They are also highly task oriented, and when given a set of measurable goals with specific milestones, Self Achievers can tackle practically any challenge. In terms of their approach to health and wellness, Self Achievers believe in taking steps to prevent illness, and they pride themselves in their ability to develop actionable plans based on a combination of advice from their healthcare professional plus findings from their own research.
Keys to Engaging Self Achievers
When crafting communications that are designed to reach Self Achievers, healthcare organizations should keep the following points in mind to maximize engagement:
- Begin with the assumption that your audience is already actively engaged in maintaining and improving their own health and well-being. For example, there's no need to spend time with lengthy explanations as to why this checkup or that health screening is important — your audience is already well aware of how valuable these services are in terms of helping them maintain good health.
- Include language that provides some type of goal for them to accomplish, or gives them some sense of making progress toward a desired end. For example, you could send a friendly reminder about scheduling a flu shot as a way to help them achieve their "health goals."
- Be clear with the primary details of your communication, but avoid excessively wordy messaging. You're dealing with people who are highly self-motivated, so hand-holding is typically not necessary.
- Highlight credentials and expertise where applicable. Self Achievers value accomplishment, and they are more inclined to warm up to a message when it has been shown to originate from a qualified and credible source.
- Be sure to frame desired behaviors in a manner that emphasizes ideas that are attractive to Self Achievers, such as achieving milestones, overcoming obstacles, etc.
- Provide links to important information that supports the behaviors you are trying to elicit. For example, linking to a webpage that explains the benefits of a certain type of health screening would appeal to Self Achievers’ need to conduct their own research.
When attempting to reach Self Achievers with any type of promotional communication, it is important for healthcare organizations to learn how to "speak their language." Without using key concepts and phrasing that naturally appeal to Self Achievers, the communication can fall flat, because it won't properly resonate with the audience it is intended to reach.
This is the primary strength of psychographic segmentation: It focuses on developing specific messaging that matches the beliefs, values, priorities, and inclinations of a target audience, and for Self Achievers in particular, this means focusing on helping them stay in control of their own health maintenance efforts.
c2bsolutions has developed a proprietary psychographic segmentation model that focuses on leveraging deep consumer insights for the purpose of maximizing patient engagement. Using our robust market research, healthcare organizations can develop consumer-centric messaging, products and services that are tailored to fit specific consumer segments. Contact us today to see how psychographic segmentation can help your business unlock its true potential.